Students must submit the following items to USCIS within thirty (30) days of OPT request I-20 issued by International Student Office.
1. Completed form I-765 (downloadable at www.uscis.gov/i-765). In Item 16, Please fill (c)(3)(B) in the form.
2. Make Check or Money Order payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” in the exact amount of $380 (USD)
3. Copies of all your I-20s including previous universities attended. (in chronological order)
4. Copy or copies of all identity pages from the student’s passport and (if applicable) dependent passports
5. Copy of both side of I-94, Departure Document
6. Copy of visa on your passport. If you were granted other visa status and have been approved for F-1, please include the approval letter.
7. Two (2) passport style photos, on a white background, taken no earlier than 30 days before submission to USCIS. Write your name and I-94 number at the back of the photos.
8. Copies of any previously issued Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) if applicable.
9. Photocopy OPT request I-20 that issued by ISA Kindly sign the I-20 at paragraph #11 on the first page.
10. Original cover letter from ISA recommending OPT application for the student.
11. Official or unofficial Transcript.
• Student should receive receipt from USCIS approximately two (2) weeks after submission. Student may check their OPT status online at www.uscis.gov
• Your may receive your Employment Authorization Card approximately 90 days after you receive the receipt from USCIS. Please be reminded that you are NOT authorized to work until the OPT card is received.
• In order to update address changes while application is pending, students must inform USCIS by submitting an AR-11 Form. Also, student must update their contact information with UNVA.